Wednesday, October 13, 2010
Its 5th dayof Navaratri, and me and family are enjoying first time golu. Daily Neiveidyams are done. Also, I should decide what side dish for chapati. Yes, I chose Green Moong dal, which can be used for sundal as well as subzi.
Moong dal Subzi
Green Moong Dal- 1 cup
Onion- 1 Chopped Finely
Tomato- 1 Big or 2 Small Chopped Finely
Ginger- 1 tsp
Turmeric- 1 tsp
Chilli Powder- 1 tsp
Coriander powder - tsp
Garam Masala - A pinch
Kasoori Methi- 1/2 tsp
Jeera Seeds- 1tsp
Oil and Salt.
1) Soak Green Moong Dal for 12 hours . Then, pressure cook it for about 3 Whistles.
2) In a Kadai, Put oil, Jeera,Onion and Ginger. Fry for about 5 minutes.Then add tomatoes and fry till the oil comes out. The onion-tomato mixture should be mushy.
3)Then pour cooked Moong Dal and put all the powders ( Turmeric, Coriander and Chilli Powder) and salt. Fry for about 8 minutes.
4) Pour little bit of water if you want it as gravy.
Garnish with coriander.
Green Moong dal - 1/4 cup
Mustard - 1 tsp
Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
Green chillies - 1 slit
Salt and Asafoetida.
1) In a kadai with oil, PUt the mustard and wait till it splutters.
2) Add Urad dal,green chillies and curry leaves. Add cooked green Moong dal ,salt and asafoetida.
Green Moong Dal sundal is ready
Tuesday, October 05, 2010
Hurray...After a long time, I am posting recipes in my blog. This might be the repeated statement, but still, its quite long. Eventhough, I try new recipes quite often, I am not able to post it on my blog. 1) Camera is not working properly 2) lack of interest because of Camera 3) its only Camera. Atleast we must have some inspiration to continue the blog. Now, No excuses, as i have got new batteries which will come for atleast a week or two provided , I maintain it properly. Now coming back to the recipe.
Making tandoori Nan is my dream. Eventhough I dont have any oven, I tried looking for Nan without the use of Oven. With the help of other blogs, I tried using with my cooker, but got tired, as I dint get it. So, I just did like Phulka/Roti. To be frank, it came out soft and just like Nan. So , New users who wants to try Tandoori Nan at home, can use this procedure. Its simple and tasty.
Maida - 2 cups
Yogurt/Curd- 1 cup
Milk - 1cup
Baking powder - A pinch
Oil , Salt and small quantity of water( Water is just optional)
1) In a basin, Mix all the contents above (Without water) and make a dough. Try not to use water.
If you feel the dough is lacking some water , you can substitute with Milk or oil.
Put this dough mixture in wet cloth, keep it aside for about 1 hour or so.
Moong dal/Paitham Parupu - 1/2 cup
Toor Dal/Tuvaram Parupu- 1/2 cup
Jeera Powder - 1tsp
Coriander Powder - 1tsp
Tomato- 1 Big or 2 Small Chopped finely
Jeera - 1 tsp
Long Red Chiilies - 1 or 2( according to ur chilli taste)
1) Keep the Dal in cooker for about 3 whistles.
2) After the pressure is released, add the tomatoe,salts and cook for about 5-10 minutes
3) While doing so, Take a small Kadai , pour Ghee , Add Mustard,Jeera and wait till it splutters. Then add, Long Red Chillies and Hing.And pour over the Dal.
You can garnish with coriander and curry leaves.
You may have doubts asking how this is Ayurvedic. Anything you cook with Ghee is consider Ayurvedic provided you take it in limited quantity and exercises are regular.